Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Low blood sugar

KDCwv32 - Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:19 am

Ok for some reason my blood sugar seems to drop after I eat breakfast. I don't know if it spikes then drops or what it is going on. I had a fasting glucose test done and it was normal and I've had random blood glucose also with them most of them being normal. Last time I was at the doctor for just an annual check up my blood sugar was 68 and my doctor said it was too low and that was after I had had breakfast that day. Another time it was 99 and they said it was somewhat high, which was also after breakfast. Every other time its been around 80-90. My fasting was 89. I can tell when it gets low because I get shaky and sweaty and eating gets rid of those symptoms. There is no diabetes in my family. Why does this only happen at breakfast time and no other time? Thanks
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:41 pm

I would look to your breakfast foods. Many people consume carbohydrates for breakfast which can result in some wide blood glucose fluctuations in those who are sensitive to it. You didn't say what you eat but I would increase the protein and complex carbohydrates (fresh fruits and whole grains) which usually result in a more stable blood sugar level. Also, your individual body may just process things differently at this time of day. There is no magic formula that works for everyone so the fact that you have detected a pattern can make it easier to adjust your life to compensate.

About two hours after eating, take a protein snack. This will probably help. If you do not exercise or if you have extra weight to lose, those measures would be good to take.

vampwizzard - Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:58 pm

Hello, I too seem to suffer from similar symptoms. I had a blood glucose reading done before breakfast and it was around 69-70, which is on the low scale. Following eating however, my blood glucose never really gets out of the high 70s to low 80s. Is that normal?

I am a college wrestler and eat properly, 4-5 meals a day inputting around 2200-2500 calories of 40/40/20 percent carb/protein/fats, and I have a good BMI index. I have noticed lately that my body has been a lot slower to recover from our lifts, and ive been increasingly tired even on a full nights sleep. Would the dietary timing youve suggested work for me as well?

Thank you.

|