Question: cyst in sinus possible pituitary tumor??

funnybunny - Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:57 am

Hi I am a 25 year old female. I recently had an MRI of the head and a large cyst was found in my sinuses. The neurologist didn't tell me much about it other than I need to see a ENT soon and have it removed (don't know the exact size or location; the Dr. used the term "substantial" and said it needed to be taken care of soon or I could have complications later). I had went to the neurologist because this past summer, I had a sudden onset of symptoms after playing tennis. Intense pressure headache, intense deep burning pain in neck, burning pain behind the eye, and later on partial paralysis in left arm, tics of the left arm and right leg, difficulty walking due to weakness. The symptoms had come on suddenly and waxed and waned in intensity for about two days before going away. Although, since then I have had some burning pain in the neck similar, but no where as intense. This pain comes and goes, but isn't very noticeable. I had gone to the ER and CT scan was normal. And the recent MRI of the head---besides the cyst, everything else was normal. My neurologist explained I had a complicated migraine and doesn't think the cyst is related. ( I disagree???)
Recently in the past 4 years I have had ongoing undiagnosed issues. I am extremely fatigued, have upper back pain and weakness(can't hold my self up properly), weakness of the legs and arms, leg cramps, tingliness of the legs sometimes arms, numb toes at times, shooting and stabbing pains in legs and chest, chest pains and heart palpitations, frequent urination ( way too much urinating; I get up about ten times in the middle of the night and early morning to urinate; now that im pregnant, its about twenty; i am not exaggerating; this is not a joke nor is it funny; i know that is might be contributing to the fatigue) GERD, frequent yeast infections, extremely dry skin, itchy skin, acne(had very clear skin two years ago), excessive facial hair of the cheeks, chin, upper lip( has grown in in the past two years) and excessive body hair of the abdomen and inner thighs ( I didn't have body hair like this; Im half korean and my brother has less facial hair than i do; its not typical of my family) scalp hair loss, and weight gain in the past three years that's again not typical (about 40 pounds; about 15 pounds each year; I know im getting older, but ive never been so overweight and i don't have a problem with overeating, but these past few years i have been hungrier than in the past and always want a carb of some kind), some purplish stretch marks and some spider veins (especially around the breasts) My periods have always been heavy since puberty. Nothing unusual. I am ovulating I know because I just found out Im pregnant with twins. I have also been more susceptible to throat infections, sinus infections, bronchitis, yeast infections, and colds and stomach viruses in the past few years.
My question: Is it possible that this cyst could be a benign tumor of the pituitary gland? Im really starting to think so because of everything unusual Ive been experiencing these past few years. What else could cause these symptoms? Please don't say it's " all in my head".
Ive had tests done on my heart(MRA, echo, EKG's, nuclear stress testing, holter monitor: all normal) blood tests: HIV, hepatitis, lyme, ANA, rheumatoid factor, thyroid, liver, glucose blood test( but i have never had a fasting glucose test) all normal; ct of chest: normal; chest x rays: normal. My yearly physical last year was normal, which Im assuming many blood tests were done.
I don't think ive been tested for anything else and so Im sure there are other possibilities but i really need to get to the bottom of things because now that im pregnant, im worried about complications i could have. I do think I have diabetes, or at least pre-diabetes, but i don't think that's the extent of my problems or maybe it could be just that. But what about the excessive body and facial hair?? Any input and advice would greatly be appreciated.
thank you (from a happy pregnant soon to be mom of twins!!)
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:53 pm

User avatar Hi there -

While you certainly do have some symptoms which could be consistent with a benign pituitary tumor -- and if you did the mass in your sinuses would have to be an awfully big coincidence or else a herniated tumor -- you could have more than one thing going on at the same time (the possibility of complex migraine can't be ruled out just yet, but also could be related so the theoritical tumor, too).

The potential for diabetes and a diabetes-related neuropathy must be ruled in or out as well as testing for cortisol and other associated levels to help determine whether or not the sinus mass is in fact a herniated benign pituitary tumor. If it is, the removal of the sinus mass might require a little more finesse than if it is simply a huge polyp or enlarged turbinate.

This is about the best I can do for you thus far. Additional testing prior to any sinus surgery, as well as a glucose tolerance test (diabetes could be pre-existing or could be gestational if present at all) need to be done. Hopefully all this would help clarify things a lot (and I strongly suspect the pituitary tumor theory based on your signs and symptoms). Hopefully this helps somewhat. Please follow up with us here as needed.
 coleygirl - Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:51 pm

omg omg omg finally some one like me I have everything you have facial hair, urination and u guessed it a pituitary cyst that my orthodontist found and said it would go away on it's own omg I just can't tell u how relieved I am I thought I was crazy I have the tingles sometimes pain in legs and arms. Tell me do you feel like you are aging to quickly I do people think I am in my early thirties and I am 24. Oh please email me back! Have u had the cyst removed do u feel better have your sypmtoms went away?

|