Question: biochemically euthyroid??

angelofthesouth - Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:09 pm

Hi, I was diagnosed 11months ago with underactive thyroid and over those months they have taken my medication from 25mg to 125mg once a day.
I am still feeling tired, miserable, moody. My sex drive is zero and my weight is gaining by the month. My eyebrows are thinning and my skin is dry.

Is there something else that could be wrong, Im so depressed about all this and do not see any light at the end of this dark tunnel I find myself in.

I would be so grateful for a reply.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:04 pm

While there are some other possible causes of your symptoms, the most likely is the one that's most obvious -- hypothyroidism. However, there is also the Awful Coincidence rule, which reminds us that there can be more than one thing going on in one patient at the same time. The symptoms do all sound like those related to hypothyroidism, but also, and especially in combination with euthyroid, could make them more pronounced. One is diabetes, although with all the blood work you've likely had done, it's unlikely you would have developed this. Yet again, however, inadequately controlled hypothyroid will predispose to diabetes if there is a latent tendency to start with.

You do have a family history of diabetes.

If this hasn't been ruled out via glucose tolerance test and hemoglobin A1c, then it needs to be ruled out (or in) ASAP. While there are some other, more obscure possibilities, this would be the next biggest one that jumps out. I'd strongly suggest a GTT, unless you know for certain you do not have diabetes.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please follow up with us here as needed. Good luck to you.

|