News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: teenage rapid weight gain

meganwonka - Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:49 pm

Hi. I'm 16, 5'4", very active, and very conscious of what i eat, and how much i eat. I've been a cheerleader for 7 years, and a swimmer for 2 years. I go to the gym at least 4 hours a week. about 4 years ago, i started cutting out sweets, sodas, anything fried, or with too much fat. so everything is pretty much healthy. and i don't think i overeat... but still, within 2 years, i've gained 35-40 pounds. I'm so far overweight its just unbelievable to me. I try to be as healthy as possible, and as active as i can, but the weight will not go away.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it but, a few years back i was diagnosed with mild depression. I'm not sure if this could effect anything or not, i just need some answers as to what could possibly be going on...
 Dr. A. Rajput - Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:45 pm

User avatar Let us review some common factors associated with weight gain.

Age - At your age, many of them tend to gain weight. It could be reversible or irreversible.

Increase in caloric intake and Alcohol- Knowingly or unknowingly, one tends to eat more. Alcohol can also cause weight gain.

Decrease in physical activity level- Which doesn't seem to be an issue in your situation.

Medications:-

Steroids can cause variable weight gain

Antidiabetic medications are associated with weight gain.

Antidepressants- Many of the antidepressants medications are associated with weight gain.

Oral contraceptives are associated with wieght gain.

Depression and stress themselves are associated with increase food intake, knowingly or unknowingly.

Just to list some Endocrinologic disorders:-

Cushing syndrome
Hypothyroidism
Polycystic ovary syndrome
Hypogonadism

So to sum it up, weight gain could be due to a single or multiple factors. Last but not the least, having positive attitude towards life always helps. I tried to give you a rough idea but you need to see your doctor and the dietician regarding this. I am sure you will see positive results with time and proper counselling.

Wish you best luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here