News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: glucose tolerance test not normal

jimmydfi - Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:48 am

I have been lightheaded for more than 25 weeks all day. My chest gets tight daily also. My dr had me do a glucose tolerance test.

fasting= 81
1 hr= 85
2 hr= 64
3 hr= 55

He said it was not normal, so he had me do a 5 hour test with insulin levels being tested too.

fasting= 86
1 hr= 78
2 hr= 71
3 hr= 66
4 hr= 72
5 hr= 76

Insulin was low to normal through out the test. Two of my doctors say this is all normal. Three doctors including an endocronologist say it is not normal. I see the endocronologist on Dec 12. Do you have any ideas what all this could mean? I have been eating healthy for 6 weeks now. I eat every 2 to 3 hours with no symptoms subsiding. I went from 186 to 165 pounds. I am 27 year old male. Thanks for your help.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:22 pm

User avatar Hello -

The endocrinolgist should be your central doctor right now so far as this problem is concerned. The results aren't normal. You would seem to be hypoglygemic, which can happen even in the setting of normal insulin levels, as much depends upon how one's insuling receptors work. (This result is sometimes seen as a pre-diabetic metabolic finding, but often it simply means you're hypoglygemic). You've lost weight the way someone with new-onset diabetes would, but I've also known this to happen in hypoglycemics as well, so it's not completely telling.

You should be followed by an endocrinologist, coordinated with an internist. I'm not sure what five doctors you're seeing now, or what other health issues you may have, but the abnormal GTT would seem to coordinate with your symptoms. Hopefully this can be medically managed fairly simply.

I hope this helps. Best of luck to you, and please follow up with us as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here