Question: Thyroid cyst/right chest/shoulder blade pain

Babsc - Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:07 pm

I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism for about 15 years, I have a cyst on the left side of my thyroid. I've been told it is too small to cause problems. However, I am hoarse having problems swallowing and pains in the right side of my chest as well as my right shoulder blade. I have been to an endo, an ent, a cardiologist as well as my regular doctor in the last 10 months. I also have been diagnosed with a hiatel hernia and acid reflux as a result of the endoscope I had. I don't know where to turn. Any suggestions?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:17 pm

The cyst may well be causing all or part of the current problem. Then again, GERD is complicating the process and since everything looks good on paper I think you're getting shortchanged. There are few stones left unturned, but one might be a neurology consult, since the ultimate problem is at least partially the processing of sensory signals from the throat to adjacent pain pathways. Neurology might be able to suggest a cause and effect that could be fed back to both endo and GI specialists who would then be under some pressure to help correct the source of irritation or, at the very least, you might be offered some symptomatic relief. When two or more things are going on that cross the same neural pathway it can be difficult, but diagnosis and treating patients never comes with a guarantee it will be simple or easy. I think you need a way to force the issue and this might be the simplest. The most difficult for most people is to simply go back and insist they are not okay and not accept "it's nothing important" as an answer to their complaints of reduced quality of life, which your symptoms undoubtedly cause.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please follow up with us here and keep us updated. Good luck to you.

|