Question: Relationship between hemochromatosis & Graves Disease?

dcnpcasey - Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:44 am

I have Graves Disease treated by RAI and subsequent thyroid replacement. Early tests indicate the possibility of hemochromatosis. I will have genetic testing and full work up soon. In addition the last time I donated blood (3 -5 years?) the blood bank said I came back positive for Hepatitis C - highly improbable given my life style, but had my PCP run tests. He said there are 3 required to diagnose Hep C and that one of mine was negative, one positive and one ambiguous.
Here are my questions: Is there a known relationship between Graves Disease and hemochromatosis? Is it possible that the Hep C suggestion is linked to liver damage as a result of hemochromatosis? I would like to understand these dieseases better by understanding what, if any, connection there is betwen them AND I would like to correct the suggestion of Hep C so that I can return to donating my very rare blood - AB neg. Thanks in advance
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:57 pm

I've been unable to find any links between hemochromocytosis and Graves' disease. Logically it would seem there should be, but in terms of the literature I've found nothing to back this up, especially since hemochromocytosis is a genetically-acquired disease and Graves' is an autoimmune disorder which, even when heritable, involves different chromosomal defects. Further, Hep C, which you may or may not have, is viral in origin, and so wouldn't be caused by any possible damage inflicted by hemochromocytosis. It can be acquired, by the way, by many simple contact mishaps other than sexual.

I think what's happening here, lacking any proof of a connection between Graves' disease and hemochromocytosis, that you simply have more than one thing going on, which is very often the case, and which, when it happens, can thoroughly cloud a clinical picture of any given patient, due to the tendency to assume all symptoms are being caused by a single cause.

I hope this is helpful to you. By all means please follow up here as needed, and especially if you have any new information to add or anything new to tell us. Best of luck to you.

|