Question: How do i know whether it is Type 1 or 2 diabetics?

fan074 - Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:22 am

I am 29 years old,male,of weight 86Kg and height 78cm, recently diognised as having diabetics with FBS 140mg and S.cholestrol 220mg.Is it a really high amount? How do I know whether it is type1 or 2 diabetes? What are the precautions that has to be taken about the food and life style? Please help as i am very much worried about getting in trouble in an young age.Thank you.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:52 pm

Type I diabetes is usually diagnosed early in life, no later than early adulthood and usually in childhood or adolescence. It is clinically different from Type II in that the pancreas is unable to produce insulin (and so is always "insulin dependent" and treated with daily insulin replacement). This difference is determined by blood and urine testing as well as history. Since you're on the far side of young adulthood, it makes it a little bit difficult to be certain which type you may have, but it's probably Type I, as you no doubt would have become symptomatic long before now.

The FBG test finding of 140 would be diagnostic of diabetes, assuming there were consecutive readings above 126 on different days. If you were diagnosed on the basis of just the one reading then you may not actually be diabetic. The number is high enough to be abnormal, and probably does signify diabetes, but it's not extremely high, so doesn't set off the immediate bells and whistles that often are heard (figuratively only) when a patient walks in with BS of over 200-300. Those higher numbers leave little doubt after one check. I hope this was not your only test result. It really needs to be confirmed, even though it's likely you are diabetic.

The cholesterol reading was high overall, although you don't provide a breakdown of the four factors that make up that 220 number.

Both Type II diabetes, if that's what you have (most likely), and slightly elevated cholesterol, can be managed in many cases by diet and exercise. You're overweight for your height (even if you meant 178 cm. instead of just 78, in which case you'd be phenominally overweight), so starting a weight loss program would be your first order of business to reduce BS and lipid levels, and this, along with a progressive exercise program (if you're not already on one) would likely bring down these marginally high readings. With Type II diabetes the problem isn't so much what you eat (although of course all sugars isn't going to do any good at all), as what you take in and burn off in terms of calories. A healthy diet and healthy exercise practices generally will bring these kinds of numbers into line. They are both fairly predictable given your height-to-weight ratio.

If you are determined to have Type I diabetes (unlikely, give the numbers, your age, etc.), then you'd have to be put on insulin therapy indefinitely anyway, but you'd still help yourself a lot by losing the weight.

I hope this answers your questions. Please follow up with us as needed.
 fan074 - Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:28 pm

Dear John, Thank you so much for your quick reply..It was really helpful to know about the way of controling diabetics.

|