Question: gynecomastia

stix - Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:01 pm

I am a 19 year old male college student and two months ago I took a months long cycle of steroids. I am very worried about gynecomastia. My chest has gained a significant amount of mass, but i am not sure whether it is muscle or fat build up. If I took Nolvadex, would that help me? Or should I do something else? Or would gynecomstia be VERY obvious and I obviously don't have it?

thanks
 Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:31 am

User avatar Hello:
Gynecomastia would have to be diagnosed by a physician. Basically if the breast tissue is very firm, slightly rounded and the nipple is of normal size for a man and you have been doing exercises specifically to increase muscle mass in the chest, then it probably is just that, muscle tissue. The breast tissue of gynecomastia is usually softer, much more rounded, and may have enlarged nipples. However proper diagnosis needs to be made by a physician. Self-diagnosis and treatment is dangerous. Nolvadex, the drug you mentioned, is a hormonal treatment that has both estrogenic and antiestrogenic properties. It is primarily used in the treatment of breast cancer and has been associated with increased risk of deep venous thrombosis, which can be life threatening. If you are concerned about this, I suggest you seek the advice of your physician who would be able to diagnose you properly and make recommendations as to what treatment would be best in your case.
Regards,
Carolyn

|