News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: FSH and LH In MEN

codex16 - Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:47 pm

I am 24 years old and for about 3 years I have been losing hair all over my body in patches after a bad case of mono on my and throat infection.

I'm not entirely sure what is making it fall out being a lack of estrogen but im pretty sure it's not male baldness pattern as no one in my family has the gene and the hair is thinning everywhere including my sideburns. I have had extensive blood tests done for alopecia and auto-immune disease which came up negative

So I went to the endocronoligist and he gave me these results. I had a level of .8 out of 1.6-8.0 range on my FSH and from what I understand your FSH is your estrogen which is very important to your hair follicles.

The thing is my doctor thinks this level is fine while i read in many places on the internet that this a bad level and it could be the reason for my hair loss. My doctor didn't talk about treating this and I would like a few opinions on if this is an ok level for a male and if you think that a level this low could be causing hair loss. I just did more blood work for FSH and LH and a few other things again this week. I also went on propecia not sure if it would help if this is the case. Any input on a healthy level for a male would be great and how to talk to my doctor if this is a problem and he doesnt see it as one.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:45 pm

User avatar Hello --

Low FSH levels in men are likely to result in hair loss or at least failure to grow new hair. Low FSH is consistent with pituitary and other endocrinological disorders. It's difficult to know if this is connected to your bout of mono or not, but it's also probably not important at this point. You could always have something else going on coincident with that episode or aggravated by it. If your doctor doesn't express an interest in pursuing this toward a diagnosis and management of symptoms, you may need find a second opinion or a different endocrinologist.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck with this. Please follow up with us as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here