Question: FSH and LH In MEN

codex16 - Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:47 pm

I am 24 years old and for about 3 years I have been losing hair all over my body in patches after a bad case of mono on my and throat infection.

I'm not entirely sure what is making it fall out being a lack of estrogen but im pretty sure it's not male baldness pattern as no one in my family has the gene and the hair is thinning everywhere including my sideburns. I have had extensive blood tests done for alopecia and auto-immune disease which came up negative

So I went to the endocronoligist and he gave me these results. I had a level of .8 out of 1.6-8.0 range on my FSH and from what I understand your FSH is your estrogen which is very important to your hair follicles.

The thing is my doctor thinks this level is fine while i read in many places on the internet that this a bad level and it could be the reason for my hair loss. My doctor didn't talk about treating this and I would like a few opinions on if this is an ok level for a male and if you think that a level this low could be causing hair loss. I just did more blood work for FSH and LH and a few other things again this week. I also went on propecia not sure if it would help if this is the case. Any input on a healthy level for a male would be great and how to talk to my doctor if this is a problem and he doesnt see it as one.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:45 pm

Low FSH levels in men are likely to result in hair loss or at least failure to grow new hair. Low FSH is consistent with pituitary and other endocrinological disorders. It's difficult to know if this is connected to your bout of mono or not, but it's also probably not important at this point. You could always have something else going on coincident with that episode or aggravated by it. If your doctor doesn't express an interest in pursuing this toward a diagnosis and management of symptoms, you may need find a second opinion or a different endocrinologist.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck with this. Please follow up with us as needed.

|