Question: Diagnosed with Hashimoto's but there is something else wrong

hbugal - Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:50 am

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's a little over a month ago. I had slightly elevated TSH levels (4.6) but the rest of my levels were normal. Even though I had signs of being hypothyroid my GP didnt think it was necessary to treat it and sent me on my way. I chose, instead, to take myself to an Endo. My Hashimoto's was diagnosed via an ultrasound of my thyroid that showed a very malformed thyroid, almost no isthmus (sp?), and a small nodule. He put me on 75mgs of Synthroid. I discussed my chronic joint pain, light sensitivity, irregular periods etc...he suggested that I see a Rheumatologist. Ive made an appointment but have to wait until the middle of February.

Since then Ive developed a rash called erythema annulare centrifugum. I have one lesion on my left breast and a good 10 more forming across my breasts and ribcage. I went back to my GP who ran a rheumatology panal and suggested I make an appointment at the rheumatologist. She didnt want to treat the rash b/c she wanted the rheumotologist to see it. I get the results back and they were normal. My CBC is normal and my ANA is 44. I went into to see my endo b/c of the issues that I had in the past with the GP. He said the same thing but was concerned that I had gained 6lbs since my last appointment a month earlier. I explained to him that I had gained 50lbs in the past 3 years no matter how hard I diet etc...so he is checking my cortisol levels. He didnt tell me why but Im making the assumption that he is checking me for Cushings.

Im not so worried about what is wrong with me..Im more concerned about not finding out what is wrong with me. It's upsetting to diet and not lose a pound but to gain 6lbs is tough.

My other symptoms....Everything that I can think of

Weight gain
Oily skin
Flushed face
No Infertility (I have several children)
Acne
Eyebrows fell out
Excessive hairgrowth on face
Little or no body hair
Sebacious Cyst on lip (removed)
Nosebleeds left nostril only
Joint pain
Muscle pain
itchy skin
erythema annulare centrifugum
Excessive urination
Always tired
Sensitive to light
Irregular periods
heavy menstration
Raynauds
low blood pressure
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:34 pm

User avatar Hi there --

So far you've determined, through your own persistence, that Hashimoto's disease is present. You have additional symptoms, some of which are commonly seen in conjunction with hypothyroidism (ie: Raynaud's), and you have some signs and symptoms which could indicate Cushing's and/or Sjogren's, both frequently part of a larger autoimmune problem, along with the previously mentioned disorders.

Your rheumatologist seems to be following this appropriately, and the problem you pose, that of determining just "what is wrong" with you, can be frustrating, because where autoimmune disease is concerned, the rules become pretty vague much of the time, as new symptoms show up and new systems become involved, even as others become functional again. It can be infuriating. Having a good and supportive team of GP and rheumatologist will be a big help. So far, actually, so good. This can take quite a while to become clarified and requires some patience on the part of the patient (which may be where the term originated).

Good luck to you with this. Please keep us updated.

|