Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Was recent weight lost caused by out-of-control blood sugars

tigersmom - Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:34 pm

I am a 45 year old woman, diagnosed with diabetes in 2003. Until 6-7 months ago, my diabetes was fairly well controlled by medication, ActoPlusMet, with a1C's typically in the 6.9 to 7.1 range. However, I was not eating healthy, nor was I exercising. I weighed 230 lbs.

In June 2008 I stopped taking my meds. No good reason why -- I just don't like taking them. Naturally, I stopped testing my blood sugar and I canceled a doctor's appointment and "forgot" to reschedule. The good news is that I did start working out with a personal trainer -- 3x or 4x per week, and I started making much healthier eating choices. By Dec 2008 I had lost 30 pounds. In mid-December, I also started have diabetes symptoms of being thirsty and frequent urination. On Christmas day (after dinner, naturally) I tested and my blood sugar was 478.

My a1c (taken Dec 29, 2008) was 11.0. I have since met with my doctor, started taking my medication again, and am even going through diabetes education again. I am continuing to work out 4x - 5x per week, and continuing to make healthier eating choices.

My question is this: The 30 pound weight loss -- do you think it was caused by an improved diet and exercise or the out-of-control blood sugars? I am really hoping you say the diet and exercise, because the dietician I saw discounted the diet and exercise entirely which was EXTREMELY de-motivating. And I need to stay motivated! The meds are making it very difficult to continue to lose weight. Thanks.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:49 pm

While out-of-control blood glucose can sometimes cause precipitous weight loss, more often than not in cases such as you describe for yourself, the weight wasn't coming off until the diet and exercise program started, so you're probably not one of those who turn catabolic and lose weight due to metabolizing your own body fats (and muscle). You'd likely have had a much harder time with the training if that were the case. It honestly does sound as though you've lost this weight due to your own efforts, which is more normal and is highly commendable. You've chosen to take responsibility for your health and happiness, and deserve a great deal of credit as well as congratulations for having done so well. As to the dietician who discounted your hard work as a factor in the weight loss, I'm really surprised at this comment, because it's not that common for people to suddenly experience significant weight loss immediately after reaizing their blood glucose levels are high. It's usually the other way around. They lose a bunch of weight and, in the course of a routine exam discover they're diabetic.

I think you can safely give yourself credit for this remarkable reversal. Keep up the good work!

|