Question: 11 month old baby has not grown in months

rlygon - Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:58 am

My son was 19" and 6 lbs at birth, and grew at a steady rate (albeit only at the 10th percentile) until he was about 7 months old. At that point he was 26" long. He then stopped growing in height completely, and has only gained a few ounces each month since then.

He is now 11 months old, and still only 26" long, and just this week reached 16 lbs for the first time. He is already about 3-4 inches behind his peers, and I don't want him to fall any further behind.

We have been to see the pediatrician, who said he was 'alarmed' at the lack of growth. My son is now completely below the curves shown on growth charts - his height is well below the 3rd percentile. The pediatrician called it a 'flatline'. My son's head circumference has been consistently at the 25th percentile, and he is functioning normally in every other way. He does not look 'sickly' or anything like that. He is perfectly proportionate, not too skinny.

We had a lengthy discussion regarding his feeding schedule, intake amounts of breastmilk, etc. He came up with the following recipe: 3 full meals a day of solid foods, then breastmilk afterwards (in addition to breastmilk feedings inbetween the meals). This is not much different than what we were doing - I just didn't offer him milk after the meals. He also asked me to take a daily multivitamin. We have implemented this new schedule, but he refuses the extra milk and is letting us know that he is full. He is not hungry.

I am afraid that this lack of growth is not related so much to nutrition as it is to familial short stature. My husband is 5'9" with petite women in his family. However, I am only 4'8".

I had a very similar experience as a baby, where I almost flatlined and then grew only about 3 inches between the time I was 6 months and 2 years old. To make matters worse, I grew at a slower rate (around 1/2" to 1 1/2" or so per year) until I reached my teens (then I stopped completely at age 14). As an adult I am in the 2nd percentile. I was of course checked for growth hormone deficiency and other problems, but was never diagnosed with any of them. I was told it was just in my DNA to be short.

So, I am just wondering if anyone in the endocrinology field has researched this type of 'flatline' growth in babies, if it points directly to a short stature adult height, and if there is anything at all I can do to reverse it. I know there are plenty of short statured people out there, but they normally follow their own growth curve. They don't just stop growing as babies like my son has. I feel that since he is already behind, I need to research anything I can to help him 'catch up'... or at least start growing again.

Can anyone help me please?
 hbugal - Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:52 pm

Have you considered taking your son to a geneticist?

Im not a physician or even in the medical field. (Although I did start out that way I became a mother instead) But my daughter has Mosaic Down Syndrome. Which essentially means she is half "normal" and half Down Syndrome. Appearances wise she looks normal so her pediatrician missed the diagnosis. If it werent for a visit with a Geneticist (on an unrelated matter) it may have been years before we found out that she had Down Syndrome.

I would definitely seek out a Geneticist to rule out any underlying issues and allow him to make any further referrals.

|