Question: Thyroid test wrong?

spencersmummy - Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:04 pm

I have been trying to loose weight I have lost over 60 pounds but for the last year I found it impossible to loose any weight I am at 174 and Iam 5'9". I exercise 3-4 times a week 30-45 min. I do weight lifting some, and watch what I eat, 1600 calrories some times less if I don't get in exercising. I have tried as little as 1200 calrories no results.

My doctor suggested I have a blood test for a thyroid problem and it came out they said I was within normal range. I found out that the birth control patch I am on can mess with the testing, My doctor didn't take this into consideration should I go off the patch and be retested or am I just grasping at straws.

[b]Thank you very much for your time[/b]

Katrina
 Dr. Russell M - Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:18 am

User avatar Hi!

Sorry for the late response. I would not worry regarding the patch affecting your thyroid functions significantly. But if you find you are having other symptoms of thyroid dysfunction, do consult your doctor again.

bill
 nicok13 - Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:20 pm

I, too, have had complications with the birth control patch and weight gain, with some differences. First of all, I went off the patch in December 2004. Since then (today, July 25, 2005), I have gained 25 lbs. I went from a slender 140 lbs (at 5'10") and now weigh 165 lbs (which is still considered normal, but is not my normal weight). I exercise 5-6 times/week, run 30 minutes daily, strength train, and I am eating less and less. I eat no white sugar or flour, don't drink alcohol or soda, and eat 5-6 servings of fruit and vegetables a day with little results. My weight is centered entirely in my stomach, buttocks, and thighs. I am tired a lot, my sexual libido has decreased, and for the first time in my life, I have random, intense weight gain. I have a girlfriend who said the exact same thing happened to her and that her friend (an M.D. in NYC) said the patch had probably messed with her thyroid. So, I went to the doctor last week and she did some bloodwork, testing for thyroid, testosterone levels, estrogen levels, etc. I am still waiting for the results and I am worried that my doctor will find my test results to be normal. What then? Am I to assume my body will regulate itself? Am I to attempt some crazy diet or try supplements I have seen on the web? I am truly at my wits end and I wonder how many women out there are experiencing similar reactions??
Thank you, thank you to each and all!
Nico

|