Question: Marijuana and, then eating, causing blackouts and vomiting

misterperson - Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:13 pm

I have occasionally smoked (sometimes once a week, sometimes several times a week) marijuana for the last 15 years but in the last 1.5 years I have had some alarming "episodes" which seem to be triggered by smoking pot and then eating food. 3 times in the last 1.5 years I have smoked pot and then ate either pizza or chicken with frightening results. I get nauseous, feel like I am going to black out, vomit, and then briefly black out. After I vomit I immediately begin to feel much better and 15 minutes later I feel perfectly fine; almost like my vomiting purged my body of a poison. All of these episodes have taken place at a friend or family member's home. All of these episodes have happened on evenings where I ate very little that day, so I was very hungry after smoking pot. I have no other history of blacking out. I have no symptoms that coincide with diabetes (excessive thirst, urination, or weight loss, numb limbs, etc.) nor any other immediate health concerns. I am 34, stand 6'1, and weigh 207 lbs.

The first time this happened I ate pizza from a local pizzeria. The 2nd time, I ate chicken from KFC, the last time I ate chicken wings from Pizza Hut. These episodes never happen when I smoke pot at home--only when I am elsewhere.

I realize that stopping pot smoking is the obvious solution, but I am curious why this has begun to happen recently and why vomiting seems to purge my system and make me feel better.
 Debra Van Ness RN - Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:10 pm

Ok, I will not say that marijuana is good for you. Of course I would urge you to stop it. However, I wonder if these symptoms are related to the drug. Do you vomit like this when not using the drug?
You could have some underlying problems there. The marijuana may have been the cause or could be aggravating it.
Anytime I hear of someone "blacking out" I would say go and see a doctor NOW. There is just absolutely no way of telling you what these symptoms mean without some close medical evaluation. I would also question weather or not you are using other drugs along with the marijuana, prescribed or otherwise. (I do not judge here. I am not saying this for purposes of belittling you as a person). It just sounds as if you need some help with the drug issues but also just as important you need medical attention for the symptoms you are describing. "Blacking out" and chronic vomiting is nothing to ignore.

Best wishes to you,
Debra Van Ness RN
 misterperson - Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:36 pm

I do not have the symptoms (blacking out or vomiting) at any other time. I have smoked marijuana a few times since this post without drinking and have had no symptoms. I do not use any other drug at all--except for nicotine and very occasionally I drink a beer or two. I take no prescriptions or any drugs other than an occasional "Aleve" when I have a headache. The marijuana smoking is done probably 3-4 times a month while I drink 1-2 beers a month, at the most.

I definitely appreciate the concern with the "drug issues" but until recently I did not have any "issues" other than an expensive and unhealthy addiction to cigarettes. for right now, I am monitoring how I feel and have stopped drinking any alcohol.

|