Question: Conceiving with hypothyroidism safe?

sundae - Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:56 pm

I have just been diagnosed with a hypothyroidism (TSH 7, fT4 and fT3 unknown) and am waiting for the results of the thyroid antibodies to prove a Hashimoto disease. Also, at the moment I am trying to conceive. My home-tests show that I ovulate. Is there any danger of a mental disorder of a potential child, i.e. would it be wise to wait until the level of the thyroid hormone is not pathological anymore?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:00 pm

While it is possible to safely conceive while hypothyroid, it is strongly recommended that any planned pregnancy be postponed until the disease is confirmed (especially in cases of autoimmune problems such as Hashimoto's) until thyroid levels are determined to be therapeutic and stable. Since you are consciously attempting to conceive, you have a unique opportunity to avoid any risk to the baby by postponing the attempt until the disease is confirmed and stabilized. The relatively short wait will seem like nothing compared with the risk of a lifetime of problems that need not happen.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck to you.

|