News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Conceiving with hypothyroidism safe?

sundae - Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:56 pm

I have just been diagnosed with a hypothyroidism (TSH 7, fT4 and fT3 unknown) and am waiting for the results of the thyroid antibodies to prove a Hashimoto disease. Also, at the moment I am trying to conceive. My home-tests show that I ovulate. Is there any danger of a mental disorder of a potential child, i.e. would it be wise to wait until the level of the thyroid hormone is not pathological anymore?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:00 pm

User avatar Hello --

While it is possible to safely conceive while hypothyroid, it is strongly recommended that any planned pregnancy be postponed until the disease is confirmed (especially in cases of autoimmune problems such as Hashimoto's) until thyroid levels are determined to be therapeutic and stable. Since you are consciously attempting to conceive, you have a unique opportunity to avoid any risk to the baby by postponing the attempt until the disease is confirmed and stabilized. The relatively short wait will seem like nothing compared with the risk of a lifetime of problems that need not happen.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here