Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: abnormal 3 hour glucose tolerance test

patvallone - Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:27 pm

In working up a patient for urticaria, I found a patient to have 3+ glucose in the urine despite a normal fasting glucose. I suspected diabetes. I ordered a three hour glucose tolerance test. Fasting glucose was 72; at one hour the glucose was 71; at two hours the glucose was 50; the patient lost consciousness and the three hour glucose was not taken.

I specialize in allergy and asthma and have limited experience with abnormal glocose tolerance testing. I have never seen result such as this. Please help me with possible differentials. Is adrenal insuffiency with the possibility of an insulinoma likely?

Thank you.
 drjvvr - Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:11 am

Dear Friend,

From whatever you said, it seems that insulinoma is quite possible. Also, the positive urine sugar might have been due to decreased renal threshold whih could have been secondary to the same or an associated illness.

Please get the patient examined by an Endocrinologist, though my reply is very late and you might have done it already!

Yours Sincerely,
Dr J Vijay Venkatraman.
vijay@ktvr.com
 drjvvr - Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:13 am

Dear Friend,

Yours Sincerely,
Dr J Vijay Venkatraman.
vijay@ktvr.com

|