Question: Female hormonal imbalance, thyroid disorder or neither?

clairehair - Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:03 pm

I cannot ignore the crippling fatigue that has been slowly becoming worse and worse since before my hysterectomy but I am not sure what sort of Doctor to go to.
In the last three years I have developed excessive sleepiness and a fatigue that is starting to become debalitating, I have absolutely no sex drive whatsoever which started before my surgery. I have dry skin that has become so bad, I have scaling on my ankles and have to put olive oil on my face. My eyes have become red rimmed and sore and the treatment for that is making them worse.

I am very sensitive to cold and sleep in a sweater even though I live in Texas which has a warm climate. I am very prone to constipation, have become very overweight although I have had a tendancy to run to fat all my life, but I am at my heaviest. I am irritable , bad tempered and so forgetful , its embarrassing. My hands are covered in painful eczema with little releif. I am frequently struck with colds which have just started turning into sinusitus everytime.

My Ob/Gyn is caring but dismissive. I have considered a thyroid problem but my heart rate is normal and three years ago, preoperatively my thyroid function was normal and my cholesterol low, although my symptoms are significantly worse now.

I am not sure where to go with this or what to do. My insurance allows me to self refer and clearly all is not well with me, but I don't want to go to a string of Doctors who simply just try and treat the symptom relevant to their speciality, I feel there is a root cause to all this and I have even wondered about the medications I take or a possible thyroid problem and of course the aftermath of a bilateral Oophrectomy. Would an endocrinologist be the way to go or a womans health specialist?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:54 pm

I think that given the specificity of the symptoms you describe, an internist should probably be your first stop, but with an eye toward consult with an endocrinologist, as almost all your symptoms could be consistent with hypothyroidism (and your heart rate could easily be normal if not slow with this); while there are other things that could be causing this, and certainly you could have more than one thing going on at the same time, it seems logical to rule out the most obvious first, and with your symptoms being so very consistent with hypothyroidism, I'd want a general workup for baseline purposes and then it would seem very likely an endocrinology consult would be the next thing on the list. Alternatively you could just jump straight to Point B and self-refer to an endo doctor -- but I really think all the bases should be covered, and really don't see there being that big a likelihood of much benefit from seeing an ob-gyn doctor first or even second, based on what's going on right now.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you with this and please do follow up with us as needed.

|