Question: why would I take r-123 instead of r-131 for a thyroid scan w

allylang1 - Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:59 pm

I have a thyroid scan with uptake tomorrow but was wondering why they gave me r-123 instead of r-131 like a friend of mine had? Thank you
 Dr. N. Haider - Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:27 pm

User avatar hi allylang1
How did the scan go? When do you expect the results to be back?
I think it is I-123 / I-133 that you wanted to inquire about. All sorts of iodine are taken up more in the thyroid. This is because the thyroid makes its hormone thyroxine from it, so it has a 'pump' to take it up easily.
Both I-123 and I-133 are used in radioactive iodine uptake(RAIU) scans. I-133 has a much longer life, and in addition to scans it is also used as a medicine to destroy overactive thyroids(when given in large doses). I-123 has a much shorter half life of nearly 14 hours, that means half of the dose of I-123 has been degraded in that time.
Please feel free to share with us the reports of your scan.
Regards and best wishes,
Dr. N. Haider

|