Question: insulin and potassium levels

sarugli - Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:14 am

i've been experiencing problems for some time, and have not yet found the cause. I have paid privately for lots of tests. The last ones i tried were normal except my insulin levels were low (4.4uIU/ml, the lab range was 6-24.). My fasting glucose is usually around 100mg/dL. c-PEPTIDE WAS 1ng/ml, lab range said less than 4. i did notice that my potassium was only just in the range, it was 3.66mEq/L, THE LAB RANGE WAS 3.60-5.20. i HAVE A HEALTHY DIET, HAVE NO EATING DISORDERS, and have had no stomach upsets. I also have been using a salt substitute regularly, but not in all foods. I thought that these light salts were high in potassium, so i should not have low levels.
I have been having frequent tachycardia, it's pretty often that my heart rate is 99 bpm, one day it was 110. I also feel like i get an irregular rhythm, my blood pressure meter has recorded this. I lost the cervical curve of my neck due to muscle spasms.
I think something goes wrong with my blood glucose levels too, i get hypoglycaemic symptoms, and feel better if i eat something. I have tried measuring my blood glucose when i feel like this, but it only came out low once, when it was 3.9mmol, every other time i measure randomly it is around 6mmol.
I feel tired all the time, sometimes breathless. I just don't know what to do, i know i don't feel right, but my partner thinks i am a hyperchondriac. I get a lot of bachache too.
Hope you can help.
 Dr. N. Haider - Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:04 pm

User avatar Hi sarugli,
I'd be in a better position to help you out if you please provide me with the following information about you.
1. How long it has been since you were diagnosed as a diabetic?
2. Are you taking anything for diabetes? Please mention the dose.
3. You mentioned that you use a blood pressure monitor. Are you hypertensive? If so what medications are you taking? What pressure you get these days?
4. Do you feel dizzy on standing suddenly after you have been sitting for some time?
5. Do you feel you have an irregular rhythm all the time? or only when you exert yourself?

Thanks,
Dr. N. Haider
 sarugli - Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:30 pm

Hello Dr Haider,
Thanks very much for your reply, it's appreciated.
I have not been diagnosed as a diabetic, so i am not taking any medication.( A friend is diabetic, and lent me a meter, as they thought i may have some kind of sugar problem, also i had fasting glucose checked by a lab, it was 100 Mg/dL 2 times.
I was told by a doctor to measure my blood pressure regularly, as i did have mild hypertension. It changes a lot, for a few weeks it was around 140/90, but then it suddenly dropped, and now it is ok, in fact pretty low sometimes, eg. 110/65. My heartrate has never dropped below 80 in the past 2 months, and is usually over 90 when just resting.I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT GOES TO WITH EXERTION. Sometimes i can't tell it's fast, but often i feel like it's beating fast or too hard, or like it misses a beat.( AND SOME NIGHTS I CANNOT GET TO SLEEP BECAUSE OF IT) My meter recorded an irregular rhythm a couple of times, when it did this my pressure was 130/110 and 135/105! I am not taking blood pressure medication.
I do sometimes go dizzy when i stand up after sitting for some time. Also, my lower legs swell in the evening, but they feel hard rather than puffy, and when i wake in the morning they are ok, but my fingers are swollen!
The irregular rhythm happens without exertion.
I hope this helps, hope to hear from you. Thankyou.
 sarugli - Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:52 am

while my blood pressure was higher, my bpm was always around 99, but now it is from 80- 99, it varies. But that is just at the point i measure my blood pressure, i am not doing it every day now, since it is lower generally. But i still have palpitations every day. A few days ago i didn't sleep until 9am , i felt wired up.
 sarugli - Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:36 am

HI,
Dr Haider asked me some questions, and did not reply to my answers.
Since my last posting, my blood pressure has changed, and is consistently low usually around 105/65 now! I have now had a numb ring finger and little finger and part of my palm for the past 2 weeks, and sometimes my tongue feels numb too. I am also getting colicky pains in my upper right abdomen, but this only happens sometimes.
What is going on?
Also, when i wake up the fingers of both hands are swollen and weak, i cannot light my lighter! They are ok later in the day.

|