Question: No thyroid symptoms but recommend thyroidectomy

CBMA - Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:25 pm

I am 38years old with NO symptoms of thyroditis. I went to my gynecologist and he ask me to have a sonogram to check a nodule in my thyroid and there are 3 nodules (big) on the right and one on the left lobe. The biopsy says that I have on the left chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis (smears with numerous lymphocyted in different stages of maturation, lymphoid aggregates and groups of follicular cells, and some Hurthle celll metaplasia) and on the right hyperplastic adenomatoid nodule with cystic degeneration (abundant watery colloid, numerous foamy histiocytes, and groups and monolayered sheets of unremarkable follicular cells.) both of them negative for malignancy. All my blood tests (T3,T4,T7, TSH, Thyroglobulin AB etc.) are all in normal range. The doctor has recommended me a thyroidectomy due to the size of the nodules and because the hurthle cells are considered pre-malignant. I am not sure that I should remove the thyroid if it is working well according to the blood work, there is no malignancy, and I have no symptoms that are bothering me. What do you recommend?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu May 07, 2009 10:55 pm

This is a difficult question because the apparent answer would be if it's working, why fix it? The answer is the fact that statistically the pre-malignancy rate for the type of neoplasms found is pretty high, and because of the nature and location it is unwise as a rule to leave them alone til they start to show signs of malignant change, because by then there's no guarantee the "seeding" of them won't already have begun. This is why this is a very common reason for thyroidectomy, and just from my personal perspective, this is what I would want for a loved one or would do for myself. Sooner or later the thing is almost certain to become malignant, and by then the whole process becomes a lot more complex.

I hope this answers your question. Please follow up with us here as needed. Good luck to you.

|