Question: Could I be hyperthyroid after a "normal" test?

jab0124 - Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:49 pm

Hi, I'm James

Let me start by telling you how I feel.

I have felt terrible for the past three months solid. I am 23, I have bad palpitations and my heat races extremely fast. However these symptoms only occur when I try to exert myself. I'm fine during rest. I also have bad dizziness(sitting or standing) and have lost over 10lbs. I startle very easily, and I am intolerant of heat. Often times I have difficulty swallowing and breathing as well as sound hypersensitivity. High pitch noises drive me nuts now. These are my worst symptoms.

I have been having them since february and have seen doctors for heart, ears and regular family doctors. I had a stress test and doc said that my heart did excellerate too fast, but there were no arrythmias, so he didn't really care that I can't do anything without my heart flying and beating out of my chest. All my tests keep coming back negative and my last dr. checked my thyroid and said he felt no nodules and then the bloodtest came back normal. I was for sure I had a thyroid problem, even though I'm a man, because of all the symptoms and my mom, grandmother had hyperthyroidism.

So I guess my question is, could it be thyroid related even though the test came back negative? My last dr. said he would redo the test, but he didn't know where to go from there if it was negative. Me either! The only thing I could think of was that I had a very hard fall playing basketball and landed on my right side and back area near my kidney about a week and a half before my symptoms started. I don't know if that could be a factor because I don't know what I could have damaged then (Adrenal gland?). Thanks in advance for any help. I appreciate it.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed May 06, 2009 9:38 pm

User avatar Hi there --

There's a sometimes fine line between the symptoms of hyperthyroid and pheochromocytoma (adrenal tumor). Because you mention the fall on your flank it is conceivable there was some trauma to one of the adrenals which may now have given rise to a tumor there. Because of this and the similarity of presentation of the two diseases, it is important that not only the thyroid panel be repeated, but that you have both serum test and 24-hour urine test to help rule out/in pheochromocytoma as well.

I hope this is helpful. Please follow up with us here as needed and also keep us updated as to anything new that comes up. Good luck to you.

|