News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: insulin rsistance and very lean

veka82 - Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:35 pm

Hi
I'm a 26 year old female and i have receantly been diagnosed with Insulin Resistance. I went to doctor because my periods were mildly irregular and i was suffering from hirtuism.i also feel tired all the time. My fasting blood glucose levels and fasting insulin levels are in normal range, but my OGTT showed Insulin Resistance. All my other labs were normal. ( those include liver panel, minerlas, lipid profile, IgG, IgA, IgM, CRP, CEA, AFP, CA15, CA125, CA19, FSH, LH, E2, Progesteron, PRL, Testosteron, andostendion, HGH, ACTH, cortisol, 17-KS, 17-OHS). Only DHEA is elevated (17nmol/L).
I am normal weight, more like somewhat skinny. My BMI is 19.5. So what makes no sence to me is: Insulin Resistance is always linked to overweight people....
I was perscribed Metformin 500mg 2x a day. I am very concerned that the Metformin is going to make me loose even more weight. Is that a possibility?
I have not started taking the medication because of this concern yet.
thank you for answering my questions nad please excuse a ny possibe spelling errors as my english is not perfect
thak you
V.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:03 pm

User avatar Hello,Insulin resistance has been found in PCOS both in the obese and lean.There is also compelling evidence that metformin increased insulin sensitivity,obviously in the obese but even in the lean as well.Thus metformin has been considered as an integral part of therapy even in the lean PCOS patients.The drug also reduces clinical manifestations of hyperandrogenism in these patients.
Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here