News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Hyperparathyroidism and Renal Tubular Acidosis

jimmyt89 - Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:30 pm

I am a couple of months removed from successful Parathyroid surgery. Calcium and Parathyroid Hormone (PTH) levels are back to normal. Headaches and frequent urination are cured. The fatigue is still hanging around, though it is slightly better. My muscles burn easily and I give out of breath easy as well. I maintain a fairly active lifestyle (exercise bike and elliptical), but I can tell I have a trouble keeping up with my golfing buddies while walking 9 holes. The Hyperparathyroidism was long term (found some old bloodwork from 9 years ago with high calcium levels that was missed by my fam prac). It was possibly longer than that. I had my first kidney stone 17 years ago.

My question is this, since the hyperparathyroidism was long-term, what are the chances of kidney damage from the large amounts of calcium being excreted through my kidneys? My Potassium has been slightly elevated on two of my bloodwork results within the last 8 months. The other bloodwork results have been borderline high on the potassium. The high potassium would seem to point toward Renal Tubular Acidosis - Type 4, but the Hyperparathyroidism is only mentioned in being associated with Type 1 (at least on the web searches I have done). What other things should show up in bloodwork if RTA is present?

I have a follow-up with my endo in a couple of weeks, but I thought I should learn as much as possible before the appt.

Thx!
 jimmyt89 - Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:28 am

One other additional note. My endo doesn't think there is a problem with the kidneys according to my bloodwork. My next question is, could there be any other organs, tissue, etc that could have calcium buildup from the local term hypercalcemia due to the hyperparathyroidism. I found a website exlaining Metastatic Calcinosis and it talks about hypercalcemia and hyperparathyroidsim as a potential cause (see link, http://www.healthscout.com/ency/1/666/main.html). What tests could answer this question? Thx!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here