News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: thryoxine/metformin and increased catecholamines

yorkshirelass - Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:00 pm

Hello

I am taking 200mcg levothyroxine, 20mg Liothyronine and 2g Metformin each day. I am in the queue for a gastric bypass and one of the tests I've had is a 24hr urine collection.

My consultant has asked that I repeat the test as the results showed that my catecholamine levels are increased

Could the drugs I am taking have an effect on this? The only information I have been able to find is that increased catecholamines mean tumors on the adrenal glands.

Thanks in advance for any help.

YorkshireLass
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed May 06, 2009 9:16 pm

User avatar Hello --

The thyroid replacement meds could possibly cause some increase in catecholemines, though I wouldn't think it would normally be enough to show a significant increase in adrenal hormone in the urine. "Significant" is the operative word here, and this may be why the repeat test has been ordered. Normally the main way this happens is as you say, due to pheochromocytoma, adrenal tumors. However, it is possible the thyroid replacement has caused a measurable increase above normal without being truly significant (diagnostic) of pheochromocytoma, and I'm not sure this would disqualify you for the gastric bypass anyway, but the test should be repeated, along with blood work for serum thyroxine levels to see if there is a related increase in both.

I hope this is helpful. Please follow up here with us as needed. Good luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here