Question: low FSH, low LH, low Estrogen... but have period ??

Krissy27 - Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:04 pm

I went to my doctor approx 2.5 months ago with many symptoms of hypothyroidism (large unexplained weight gain, insomnia, hair loss, always exhausted, joint pain, cold intolerance, constipation, forgetfulness depression...) I was also having two additional symptoms, no period in over 4 months (despite being o on birth control) and feeling of constant full / blocking in throat (even after one bite of food).

My doctor sent me for a variety of blood tests; the thyroid tests came back in the normal ranges however my hormone testing back with FSH and LH < 1 and my estrogen “shockingly low”. My doctor told me very little aside from secondary ovarian failure and high probability of a pituitary tumor.

I am going for an ultrasound today and an MRI has been scheduled for 4 months down the road. However, my period started this morning… and now I’m very confused!!

Can anybody fill in the blanks for me on what could possibly be wrong and what (if anything) I can do to find some answers. My doctor isn’t very forthcoming and I’m nervous to have a continued increase in these symptoms and no answers. I appreciate your time!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri May 08, 2009 9:00 pm

While it's understandable that your doctor may be perplexed over this, that's no reason for the ball to be dropped at his office. Someone needs to follow this up, since if the thyroid panel results are correct it then goes back, very likely, to a pituitary problem -- and not necessarily a tumor although that is one possibility. An endocrinologist (if that's not what your doctor of record is) should be consulted at once, and perhaps this could get the MRI bumped up,as well as other appropriate tests done also. There's probably a very sound reason for all this, and it may well be readily medically manageable. Endocrinology is the consult needed, and if your doctor is an endo specialist then it's time for a change of doctor.

I hope this is helpful. Please follow up with us here as needed. Good luck to you and please keep us updated.

|