Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: can hypoglycemia turn into diabetes?

aliciaw23 - Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:51 pm

hi, i have hypoglycemia & i have been searching the web to see if there is anyway that it can turn into diabetes. some say that it can & some say that there is no way that it can. type 2 diabetes run in my family pretty badly my mom, sister, grandfather, anuts & uncles all have it & i have pretty much always thought i would have diabetes but the low blood sugar is all new to us because no one else in the family has it. so can hypo turn into diabetes? if so how & how long does it take? i am 23 years old now. thanks so much,alicia
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed May 06, 2009 9:08 pm

User avatar Hi Alicia,

This is an excellent question and I'm glad you brought it here. While hypoglycemia will not "turn into" diabetes, it is sometimes considered a possible pre-diabetic metabolic lesion or, to put it in layman's terms, sometimes people with a tendency toward type II diabetes will sometimes be hypoglygemic early on only to much later develop type II diabetes. There is no guarantee this will happen, and one doesn't really "turn into" the other, but the balance shifts from too much insulin to too little later in life, usually in the 5th or 6th decade, or earlier if obesity is a problem. Since you have a family history of type II diabetes you already carry a risk factor for that, so whether you're hypoglycemic now or not, there is a greater chance, especially with development of overweight or frank obesity, that you'd develop diabetes later on anyway. The fact that you're hypoglygemic now could serve as a flag for that risk and maybe remind you to watch your weight, although right now you're probably not overweight at all. This is the pattern in families often, with low or normal weight and sometimes hypoglygemia, then later, with addition of excess weight, development of type II diabetes. So you now know the best way to avoid this happening is to maintain a healthy weight at all times, and avoid overweight or obesity, which will greatly reduce the likelihood of diabetes later on.

Hope this answers your question. Good luck to you and please follow up with us here as needed.
 aliciaw23 - Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:06 pm

hi , thank you for your reply. no i am not over weight right now. most of the people in my family arent over weight though but have type 2 diabetes. i also have been having a problem with my blood sugar it seems to drop down into the 70s & 80s 2 hours or less after i eat no matter what i eat. i have cut out sugar, little carbs & caffine but it hasnt helped i also don't get the high blood sugar spikes that most hypoglycmics do. what should i do? btw my fasting morning readings are 87 to 105

|