News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Hypothyroidism or ??

angelarn - Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:39 pm

This could be rather long. Sorry.
For the last few years, actually since my last daughter was born I have had many strange s/s. It began when I was in nursing school. I would have "near fainting" spells.
I would feel as if things were going "numb" or "black" beginning at my head and moving downward, while feeling very dizzy. This came and went but was not enough to worry me very much. This has been app. 7 years ago. Since then things have gotten more strange, at work I have these feelings as if I'm thinking in a "fog" and can't focus clearly.
I have not had a FSBS greater than 80 in the last three years, although when I was pregnant I was diagnosed as "borderline" (190) gest. diabetic. I had also began to have something which felt like a lump in my throat. It usually comes and goes every month or so, each time it has gotten worse. The last time which was a couple weeks ago was making me feel as though I could hardly breath at night nor swallow. The foggy feelings have also gotten worse. The "lump" (again) has gone just as quickly as it started. The foggy feelings do not change. My FSBS has also gotten as low as 45 non-fasting. I had employee labs done in July and they scared me, not enough to go to MD though. I fear that I may be considered hypochondriac. My K+ was 2.9, CA+ 7.5, CL low, NA+ 114
etc. In January, actually last week I had them redone along with a TSH, most of my labs were back to normal range, except now my chol. which has never been high was 201 (has never been more than 160's. The TSH was 2.68. I just feel as though I'm living in a daze, which has never been normal for me. Even my husband thinks I may be a little "nutty" d/t the c/o all the time. Believe me I never go to the MD unless it's urgent. I do a lot of nurses self diagnosis. =) I need just a small amount of input, other than "See your Doctor."
Any help appreciated,
Angela B.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:13 am

User avatar Some people with a TSH value over 2.5 mIU/L who have no signs (that is, no other abnormal thyroid function tests) or symptoms suggestive of an under-active thyroid may develop hypothyroidism sometime in the future. Anyone with a TSH above 2.5 mIU/L, therefore, should be followed very closely by a doctor.

However, my personal opinion is that the main thing you should concentrate on is your low fasting blood sugar. This could be an insulinoma. The possiblility of increased insulin secretion should be ruled out by an endocrinologist. It would explain all your problems. I am sorry but you will have to see a doctor. If you have been waiting for something urgent to see a doctor then this is it. I really should not have to explain this to you, being a health professional yourself.

Please let us know how things turn out.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here