News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Diabetic ED

chrisfrmatl - Thu May 21, 2009 12:57 pm

Is it possible for a young man that is 22 to have diabetic ED? I was diagnosed when I was about 16 and have controlled it pretty good except for maybe last year or two... It's gotten back under control though. I'm not obese and I don't have high blood pressure or anything else. I was just curious because I want to get married in the near future and etc.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:09 pm

User avatar Hi there --

While diabetes and ED do tend to go hand in hand, it is usually a combination seen in older men, and it doesn't occur over night. If your glucose is well managed and you have no other symptoms secondary to diabetes such as neuropathy or vascular problems, this is probably not the cause of your problem. You don't say how long you've suffered with ED or even if you do. I'm assuming you've experienced some difficulty with this or you likely wouldn't have asked, but I suppose its possible you're thinking ahead. At any rate, if you seem to be suffering from impotence now, while it would be unusual, it is not impossible that it's secondary to diabetes. It is often difficult to differentiate the causes of ED, but it is well known that even diabetics (usually in the late 30s to mid 80s age group) benefit greatly from sildenafil or, if inappropriate for a given patient, often yohimbine. So there are certainly medical solutions to the problem, but first you should determine if there is some other cause of this. Meanwhile, again, it is unlikely -- but not impossible -- that this is a complication of diabetes.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you and please follow up with us here as needed.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here