News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Possible reasons for inability to lose weight?

mexigrl - Fri May 22, 2009 10:47 pm

I'm 44 yrs old, 150 lbs, medium frame. Been on Weight Watchers for 3 months -excercise 3 days a week (somewhat restricted by my M.S.). Never had a problem losing weight before. Lost 5 lbs last August on WW. I am retaining water as well.

My doctor tested me for thyroid issues and then just said that was all she could think of.

I know my diet is a good one - about 1200 cals a day, low fat - lots of fruit, whole grain (brown rice, etc), snacks are nuts, dark chocolate etc. I have not lost one pound since starting my diet 3 months ago. I have also done a 2 week colon cleanse (nothing crazy just a slow natural one) and tried 2 weeks of water pills (Ok'd by my doc). Nothing....

I'm very concerned that something is wrong with me - glucose normal, a little high, other blood tests OK except a slightly elevated bilrubin which doc said is OK.

What type of doctor or test should I be asking for? Someone recommended an abdominal scan - perhaps liver/kidney issues? My stomach is very bloated, usually not like this. No real digestion issues - bowel movements normal, regular.

I really feel that something is going on and don't want to just be told to keep dieting, etc. I want to rule out any other issues.

I would so appreciate any assistance - ideas - etc.

Thank you!
 Lori575 - Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:02 pm

Well, my first bit of advice if you have a doctor who can't think of anything else is to find a new doctor!! That's crazy.

I just posted this in a reply to someone else, but I just finished a book named The Thyroid Diet by Mary J. Shomon and it's a really good book. It's not really a diet book, although it has a diet idea at the end. It explains a lot of the issues thyroid patients deal with. She also goes over other reasons for lack of weight loss/weight gain, and she also covers supplements in detail. I bought it from Amazon.com for $7. I also purchased another book "Your Hidden Food Allergies Are Making You Fat." VERY interesting. I am going to talk to my doctor about ALCAT testing since reading some of this book.

Good luck....it's not easy and even doctors don't even seem to understand. Switch doctors until you find one that will listen and be willing to run tests, etc. Be your own advocate!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here