News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Bilateral ubcutaneous Mastectomy

Canadianwinters - Mon May 25, 2009 6:44 pm

Dear DoctorsLounge

I am a 38 yr old male, good health, 6'1, 170 pounds. I was diagnosed with bilateral gynecemastia lat year. I had the surgery May 13, 2009, I am currently recovering nicely. I hasd one post op with my surgeon and have to wear the compression bandage for another three weeks, then another post op visit.
I had a blood test sent to an Endo, she in turn asked for another one, to test for Prolactin levels. My surgeon informed me the tumor mass taken out of both sides of my chest was the size of my palm! It was quite a large mass. Unsure of the cause of the gyno, and what little knowledge I have compared to the pros, can my gyno return? My appt with the Endo is not until Dec 8, 2009. If escess estrogen caused this mass or excess Prolactin, and it was being deposited at the breat tissue, whats to say that I am still not producing either of these and where is it now being deposited??

P.S. I had noticed gyno when I was about 16 (though I did not know what it was) It was only in the last year that it started hurting. My Father also developed a large chest faster than the rest of him when he was young also. I noticed it when I would carry drywall or plywood and the pressure would cause pain. Also, whenever I got sexually excited, there would be a sharp peircing pain in my nipples.

Any help would be most appreciated. I am currently waiting for the blood tests concerning my Prolactin levels.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:38 am

User avatar Hi,
Gynecomastia has been classsified variously but to answer your query i will use one of the classifications to explain better....Gynecomastia can be...

a) glandular
b) Purely fatty or
c) fatty-glandular

The purely fatty variety does not contain much glandular tissue(therefore unlikely to recur even if your prolactin levels happen to be higher than normal.
The mailny glandular variety contains mainly glandular tissue(but as the surgeon must have removed all of this glandular tissue,it also is unlikely to recur if your prolactin levels happen to be higher than normal. But, thereis a theoratical possibility of recurrence if you put on excess fat.
Thus, the chances of recurrence are fairly small.
So,good luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here