Question: Bilateral ubcutaneous Mastectomy

Canadianwinters - Mon May 25, 2009 6:44 pm

Dear DoctorsLounge

I am a 38 yr old male, good health, 6'1, 170 pounds. I was diagnosed with bilateral gynecemastia lat year. I had the surgery May 13, 2009, I am currently recovering nicely. I hasd one post op with my surgeon and have to wear the compression bandage for another three weeks, then another post op visit.
I had a blood test sent to an Endo, she in turn asked for another one, to test for Prolactin levels. My surgeon informed me the tumor mass taken out of both sides of my chest was the size of my palm! It was quite a large mass. Unsure of the cause of the gyno, and what little knowledge I have compared to the pros, can my gyno return? My appt with the Endo is not until Dec 8, 2009. If escess estrogen caused this mass or excess Prolactin, and it was being deposited at the breat tissue, whats to say that I am still not producing either of these and where is it now being deposited??

P.S. I had noticed gyno when I was about 16 (though I did not know what it was) It was only in the last year that it started hurting. My Father also developed a large chest faster than the rest of him when he was young also. I noticed it when I would carry drywall or plywood and the pressure would cause pain. Also, whenever I got sexually excited, there would be a sharp peircing pain in my nipples.

Any help would be most appreciated. I am currently waiting for the blood tests concerning my Prolactin levels.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:38 am

Gynecomastia has been classsified variously but to answer your query i will use one of the classifications to explain better....Gynecomastia can be...

a) glandular
b) Purely fatty or
c) fatty-glandular

The purely fatty variety does not contain much glandular tissue(therefore unlikely to recur even if your prolactin levels happen to be higher than normal.
The mailny glandular variety contains mainly glandular tissue(but as the surgeon must have removed all of this glandular tissue,it also is unlikely to recur if your prolactin levels happen to be higher than normal. But, thereis a theoratical possibility of recurrence if you put on excess fat.
Thus, the chances of recurrence are fairly small.
So,good luck!

|