Question: Glucose Testing Results - Very Confusing!

summers2000 - Wed May 27, 2009 8:28 pm

I had Glucose Testing done recently and cannot understand my results. I drank the glucola on an empty stomach. Below are my results which were tested at one hour and two hours. It seems my insulin levels were ok, but my Blood sugar level stayed about the same throughout all the testing. I don't understand what that means. It should have increased significantly during the 1 hr testing. Does it mean my body doesn't process sugar properly? Should I use certain diet restrictions? I'm having trouble losing weight...could this have anything to do with it?

Fasting Glucose=78 Insulin=6.8
1 hour Glucose=72 Insulin=59.3
2 hours Glucose=69 Insulin=40.3
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:14 pm

User avatar Hi there --

What I infer from your two-hour GTT is that you are hypoglycemic. This can be a simple "it is what it is" issue, or it often is consider a pre-diabetic metabolic lesion which means it may suggest a future with type II diabetes potential. While the most recent "normal" serum glucose levels have been lowered several times so that your fasting 78 would now merely be considered normal range, it is actually pretty low and some people would have difficulty functioning with that level. Then after the glucola swallow it dropped a little more, and the dropped to just under what is considered normal. Since 70 - 100 is now considered normal (something I have trouble understanding, frankly), your test would technically be very near normal, and it is probably not a reason for any concern. You certainly cannot be called diabetic by any standard. Whether or not this low reading suggests hypglygemia and a possible increased risk (along with your family history) of diabetes, for now, so long as you have no symptoms of hypoglycemia, I would just follow this conservatively for the time being. You did have a pretty big insulin response to the dose, so may actually have hyperinsulinic hypoglycemia, the sometimes-predictor of future diabetes, but you just seem to have a very tightly-regulated blood sugar metabolism which, for now at least, should be treated as a gift.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you and please follow up with us here as needed.
 jkmeyer - Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:30 pm

I just had a 2 hour gtt today. My fasting glucose was 118 which mine has never been this high even on non fasting checks. After 30 minutes I spiked at 247. The last reading taken was down to 107. What does this mean?? Any help is appreciated.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:54 pm

User avatar For jkmeyer: It would seem your 2-hour GTT suggests what's now known as pre-diabetes. At this point, and at your age, this can often be managed completely with diet and exercise. There may also be the possibility of something called metabolic syndrome, which is a complex of statuses and findings including elevated but not-diabetic glucose levels (the current diagnostic standard is glucose at or above 126 in consecutive random fasting checks, so you're not there yet); metabolic syndrome is often associated with a greater risk of cardiovascular disease, as is confirmed diabetes (a new standard is being considered, using hemoglobin A1C level instead of the two random 126+ findings), but since you're not officially diabetic based on the GTT, you should be counseled on diet, exercise and weight control to bring your levels back down to normal, which is usually possible and is highly desireable. Good luck to you and please follow up with us if you have any further questions.

|