Question: Parathyroid value of 135

Stormincher - Sat May 30, 2009 11:45 am

I have had kidney stones 4 times, 3 in the last 2 years, 2 calcium, 2 unknown. This last time I was 3 days in the hospital with Acute Pyelonephritis. When visiting my doctor, she told me that my parathyroid was 135 and should be 72 which could be what is causing my stones. I am to have a recheck in a month. She said that sometimes when your in the hospital everything goes out of whack. Did she just tell me that so as to not worry or can I pretty much expect it to remain high. She said my calcium was low. Thank you.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:39 pm

While being hospitalized can often cause certain lab values to fluctuate for various reasons, the parathyroid level you've delivered is consistent with disease of the gland and would fit with the kidney stone problem for sure, but of course a confirmation by followup testing should be done under less stressful circumstances. I feel fairly certain you'll still find it to be elevated. It would just be too big a coincidence otherwise.

I hope this is helpful. Please let us know how this plays out, and follow up with us here as needed. Good luck to you.
 Stormincher - Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:12 pm

That was most helpful and I thank you for your response. Yes, I let you know the followup
 Stormincher - Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:12 am

Hi, you said to let you know so here it is: My last pth was 125. So it was down 10 points but still not too good, I think. My doctor said my kidneys were healing so she wanted to wait another month and have another pth with another kidney function test. At this rate I could get kidney stones again before we make a decision. Have you heard of kidneys healing and makes the pth go down? That seems backwards to me. Thanks.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:45 pm

User avatar While some kidney disease can heal (especially if secondary to something else), I understand your concern with the still-elevated PTH and potential stones over the coming month. There's little to do however other than ask for a second opinion, since your doctor I'm sure has her reasons for wanting to wait a while longer. If you do, in fact, have parathyroid disease, the kidneys may be insulted again and again by formation of stones, without primary kidney disease being present, so I agree, it does seem somewhat backward, but I hate to second guess an MD. A second opinion might be your best bet.

|