News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: hypothyroidism and alcohol

tntwilleford - Sat May 30, 2009 11:50 am

can hypothyroidism and taking armor thyroid increase blood alcohol levels after drinking and cause false positives on a breathalizer? I've read several blogs where people have blown higher numbers after drinking small amounts of alcohol.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:33 pm

User avatar Hello --

While in general there should be no connection between thyroid replacement therapy and blood alcohol levels, there have been enough odd problems with the brand you've been using that I can only say I wouldn't be surprised if this particular type might cause some odd metabolic changes. There's no clear cause and effect, just a history of some people reacting in odd ways which have corrected with a switch to one of the other replacements such as Synthroid.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck to you.
 tntwilleford - Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:12 pm

I appreciate your answer. My prescription is a compound which states levothy-something for t3 and levothyroxin for t4. Some of the research that I have done says that with this type of meds, your liver will not metabolize other meds such as ibuprofen. If thats the case, wouldnt it seem reasonable to think your liver wouldnt metabolize alcohol normally causeing higher concentraions in your blood than normal. And if that being the case, then breath tests would be abnormal. Whaat does your experience suggest?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here