Question: Docs won't listen to family history!

MizJay - Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:40 am

I'm looking for some advice before I go to yet another doctor.
I have always exhibited the symptoms of an underactive thyroid, which runs in my family. I've decided to seek help because my weight is increasing more quickly lately.
I have not changed my pattern of diet and exercise recently. I normally get the recommended amount of exercise and do not overeat, but I have ALWAYS been "stocky" and found it hard to lose weight, in addition to being depressed, tired, and almost all the other things which go along with hypothyroidism.
I take the Depo-Provera injection, which in some cases causes gradual weight gain, but my recent weight gain is NOT normal and I know it! I would estimate that I have gained 20 lbs in about 4 months with no negative lifestyle change.
I am alarmed, and so have gone to see a general practitioner. I explained my family's hereditary conditions which include the thyroid problem and type-2 diabetes. The doctor didn't seem to take me seriously, telling me that if I were a diabetic risk I'd be UNDERweight. My two diabetic great-aunts were fat! The doc sent me for generalized bloodwork. My blood sugar came up normal at the time and the thyroid test was just insde the normal range--no one explained the tests, I just got a paper in the mail with the results, a bunch of numbers I didn't understand.
This is not in my head, I am not the type to run to doctors for every little thing. In fact, I rarely go when I probably should!! I know something is not right. What should I do now? Ask for another test? See an endocrinologist? See another general practitioner and wait for a referral? I'm so lost and I can't imagine gaining another 20 lbs. I'm only 5-foot-two!!
Any advice you have will be so appreciated!!
 Kathy C, RN - Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:21 pm

Hi Miz Jay, I am sorry that you feel yourr physician is not really listening to you. I found this web site that may help explain your test results to you and to offer some insight as to diagnosing hypothyroidism.
http://www.mercola.com/article/hypothyr ... gnosis.htm
I believe seeing an endocrinoligists is a great idea.
i hope this helps.

|