News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: can diabetes be controled without medicine?

problems101 - Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:30 pm

Hi,

I just recently got diagnosed with diabetes, at first my a1c was 10.3, last month with eating changes, exercise and metformin, my a1c dropped 6.9

Now my daily reading are in the 109's to 119's, If my numbers are good, I don't take the metformin, because it seems like the diet/walking is working. are there people who are "diabetic" but don't take meds for it?

thanks
Diane
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:54 am

User avatar Hello,You have type2 diabetes charecterised by insulin resistance in the cells.This can be due to obesity.The body tries to produce more insulin but fails.So two ways,one to reduce insulin resistance by excercise,and diet.Second by stimulating the pancreas to produce insulin by drugs.The first statergy if it works would be good enough.This is tried for 3 to 6 months and if you are able to get adequate control drugs may not be required.But regular monitoring is a must.Best wishes.
 michwoll - Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:05 am

Im on metformin 500 mg 3 times a day and diamicron 30 mg once and my reading is 8.3 ,7.8 ,8.5 is not lower and I also have neuropathy .can I take Alpha lipoic acid to help my neuropathic pain?.
thanks for your time.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here