Question: New and extreme cold insensitivity

imjustahyphen - Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:09 pm

Hello, I'm a now non-smoking 19-year-old homosexual male. A few months ago, (I live in the deep south of the US) I would keep the air conditioning on 70 F (21 C). Suddenly, and inexplicably in the middle of summer, that became unbearably cold. Now anything below 80 F (~27 C) is cold, 80 F is average, and I don't even use air conditioning when it's 90 F (32 C) outside, not even in my car. My hands get cold and only stay warm if I ball them into fists. I wear a hoodie at the warmest part of the day. I realize this is a very general symptom, but it's going on for about 2 months now with no other symptoms. Can anyone throw out some suggestions about what might have happened?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:57 pm

Generally, women tend to feel cold more than men and older people often feel colder than their younger counterparts in the same environment. Some people with less body fat also tend to feel cold ,but, some obese people also feel similarly.

The Japanese have a name for this kind of a feeling :
'H-ie-sho'(Hiesho), also called by some a 'sensation of cold' syndrome.The mechanism for this syndrome remains unknown, and there is no medical definition for it.There are reports of some traditional japanese medicines being tried in the management of this condition.

As far as modern medicine is concerned,there have been isolated studies trying to elucidate this and therefore firm conclusions can't be drawn for obvious reasons.

Other than this information, at present,i am unable to offer any other scientific explanation for this experience of yours.

|