News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: New and extreme cold insensitivity

imjustahyphen - Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:09 pm

Hello, I'm a now non-smoking 19-year-old homosexual male. A few months ago, (I live in the deep south of the US) I would keep the air conditioning on 70 F (21 C). Suddenly, and inexplicably in the middle of summer, that became unbearably cold. Now anything below 80 F (~27 C) is cold, 80 F is average, and I don't even use air conditioning when it's 90 F (32 C) outside, not even in my car. My hands get cold and only stay warm if I ball them into fists. I wear a hoodie at the warmest part of the day. I realize this is a very general symptom, but it's going on for about 2 months now with no other symptoms. Can anyone throw out some suggestions about what might have happened?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:57 pm

User avatar Hi,
Generally, women tend to feel cold more than men and older people often feel colder than their younger counterparts in the same environment. Some people with less body fat also tend to feel cold ,but, some obese people also feel similarly.

The Japanese have a name for this kind of a feeling :
'H-ie-sho'(Hiesho), also called by some a 'sensation of cold' syndrome.The mechanism for this syndrome remains unknown, and there is no medical definition for it.There are reports of some traditional japanese medicines being tried in the management of this condition.

As far as modern medicine is concerned,there have been isolated studies trying to elucidate this and therefore firm conclusions can't be drawn for obvious reasons.

Other than this information, at present,i am unable to offer any other scientific explanation for this experience of yours.

Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here