News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Would like an opinion on my TSH and Free T4 levels

cawpcat - Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:31 am

I've been seeing an endocrinologist for a few years after my TSH levels dipped low during my 2nd pregnancy. After I had my baby, the numbers went back up a little, but ended back up in the normal range. My TSH levels are now usually around 0.63 and my Free T4 came out to be 0.67 (for both, it says the range is 0.4 - 4.5). I have an enlarged thryoid gland (goiter) and have typical symptoms of hypothyroidism, yet my doctor says everything is fine. I don't feel fine.

I'm concerned that even though the TSH and FT4 levels are considered "normal", aren't they a wee bit low? For them both to be lower like that, it makes me wonder if I have a pituitary gland issue? I'm planning to see a new endocrinologist eventually to get another opinion, but wanted to throw it out here to get your thoughts. Thanks in advance for any input!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:27 am

User avatar Hi,

At the present time, as the values (although on the lower side of the laboratory reference range) are within 'normal' - a doctor naturally would consider it as such - unless the clinical picture is compelling one way or the other.

Is your T3 value known? If so, please let us know.This may help us to answer your question better.

If it happens to be low, then non thyroidal illness is more likely (or, very rarely, secondary hpothyroidism).

good luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here