News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Low Temperature

silvergravity - Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:48 am

Very occassionally (maybe once a year, if that often) I feel awful and slightly like I have a fever, but my temperature turns out to be low. If we are considering a fever begins at 100 degrees F and 98.6 is normal, this is a 1.4 degree change; I will often have a temperature below 98.6 at more than a 1.4 degree change (97.2)normally in the 96.5-96.8 degree range.

I am using a digital thermometer under the tongue for these readings. I have a normal temperature range when I do not feel sick. My father (56) also gets this on occassion. I do not have chills but I will feel uncomfortable and flushed, often have a headache, and feel lethargic and just not right.

Do you have any suggestions as to what this might be?

Thank you!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:40 am

User avatar Hi silvergravity,
In my opinion this doesn't sound abnormal.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 silvergravity - Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:34 am

Thank you! I was wondering further... is this my body's reaction to a virus/bacteria, or do sometimes body temperatures just drop?

Thanks again!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:05 pm

User avatar Hi silvergravity,
When a person has a bacterial or viral infection it usually makes the body temperature elevate. The bodies temperature fluctuates during the day, changes with rates of metabolism etc. It also may vary mildly with each individual. I would not be alarmed with this result and would find it relatively normal.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here