Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: weakness and sugar level drop

SZI - Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:55 pm

after eating a meal, specially a heavy meal, i feel so weak and tired. i just cannot do anything. Then after 3-4 hrs i feel my sugar level has droped so much that i feel shaky and weak and tired. there is not other symptoms present except for lack of concentration, weakness, fitigue, i got my fasting sugar as well that was in normal range. i have been diagonsed with pcos as well but all my hormones are normal as well as my sugar fasting and ramdom. the only problem is with ovaries cysts and excess ahir growth. it my condition shows i am inslin resistance? or diebeties? is PCOS and this state have any relation since all tests are normal except ultrasound and excess hair growth (increasing with time)
 Dr. N. Haider - Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:51 pm

User avatar Hi
You have been diagnosed with a condition called PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), and it is usually associated with hormone imbalances, especially relatively increased insulin and male hormones. This increased amount of insulin is due to an 'insulin resistance' in people with PCOS, and the increased male hormones cause excessive hair.
Regarding your dizziness after meals, a simple fasting and random level may not be the answer, and your doctor may want to perform a test called an oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT), in which a measured amount of glucose is given to the person, and blood sugar levels tested at intervals sometimes up to 4 hours. You might be getting low glucose levels after the 2-hour period.
You should discuss this with your endocrinologist. Meanwhile, you need to take a diet with low fat content, low glucose index and avoid heavy meals. This will help you avoid any positive spikes on an already increased insulin level. Mild to moderate exercise will help you reduce weight.
As far as you being insulin resistant, there is considerable data in medical journals that people with PCOS are in fact resistant to insulin. But how much resistant can be difficult to answer. This is because different people respond to a given amount of insulin differently, and to prove that someone is 'technically' insulin resistant requires another test called HOMA-IR.
Please let us know of your LH, FSH and cortisol levels & any medicines you may have started. (if DHEA/testosterone was done, let us know of that as well).
Thank you for your thought provoking question.
 SZI - Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:33 pm

Thankyou for your reply. Following is the results of my last test.
tests results reference range

blood fasting 4.9 3.3-5.6mmol/l
LFT
serum total bilirubin 09 3-17
serum ALT 32 <35
serum alkaline phosphatase 144 65-306u/l
serium albumin 45 35-50g/l

testosterone 1.03 0.2-3.0 nmol/l

FSH female 3.65 within range

LH female 3.96 within range

thyroid profile
serum freeeT4 13.7 7.5-21.1pmol/l
serum TSH 1.82 0.4-4.0 mlU/l

I was just wondering, whether i am at high risk of dibeties. If i am insuline resistance what do i need to do to control this condition. i do not have any family history of dibeties. Do i need any medicines or excercise or diet is enough. I was givin metformin and diane-35 for pcos. i was just taking 500mg of metformin every day since 2 tab would make my sugar level fall veyr low. but now doctor has stopped all medicine to see whether things are better.

|