Question: Can Hashimoto's cause rapid heart rate?

greenwood - Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:19 am

I have been having a very fast heart rate for the past year to year and a half, with a resting HR of anywhere from 120-144. One time it was nearing 200bpm but it was thought to be a reaction to medication I was taking for neuropathic pain (amitryptiline, followed by Nortriptyline). I am not longer taking any medication, apart from Iron and B12 (both of which I tested low for).

My thyroid levels appear to be fine but my doctor is testing me for Hashimoto disease anyway because of the prominent history of thyroid disease in my family. He suspects it could be in the beginning stages. My mom was diagnosed with Graves and two of her siblings have hypothyroid. My mom's aunt was also hyperthyroid.

My symptoms are not indicative of hypothyroid in my opinion...it is much more like hyper. I am in overdrive and then I crash; overdrive and crash. My heart rate is very high and I'm having episodes of SVT. However, at the same time my holter readings showed that my heart rate slowed to as low as 46 beats per minute while sleeping.

Is Hashimoto's really something that is possible when I have normal TSH and T4 and my symptoms appear more like hyperthyroid?

The tests her ordered were antithyroglobulin and antiperidoxase. Would these tests only show Hashimoto's or would they also show Grave's disease?

Thanks for your time!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:38 am

In fact, Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Graves' disease belong to a wide spectrum of diseases known as 'autoimmune thyroiditis'.(They may be associated with other autoimmune disorder such as vitiligo, prenicious anemia etc).

Hashimoto's disease sometimes causes an initial hyperthyroid state and later on, a hypothyroid state.

Thyroid antibodies are not specific to either.They could occur in both these disorders.
Some tend to believe that both these disorders are varied manifestations of the same disease process.
Thank you for visiting Doctors lounge.

|