News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Swollen Inguinal Glands since puberty (14) Now 36

Steve3373 - Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:14 am

Greetings. I am a 36 year old male and I have had swollen Lymph glands in my groin (both sides) since I was about 14 years old. I was told at the time by my GP that it was perfectly normal and due to puberty. They have stayed the same my whole life and have never given me any trouble. I have been to a urologist recently and I am currently undergoing tests, for what he thinks is an intestinal yeast infection. During his examination, he noticed they were swollen and asked if I had been tested to see what it was and I said no- but I told him what my GP said when I was 14. He left it at that! What could be the cause of the enlarged glands and should I be concerned?
Thank you for your help.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:29 am

User avatar Hi,
Inguinal lymph nodes are quite commonly enlarged & palpable in a sizable number of people in a given population - esp in geographic areas where people walk bare-footed.

The inguinal nodes drain a wide area including the perineum, lower most parts of the vagina(in females), the anal canal and lower limbs.Thus they probably encounter higher bacterial/antigenic loads than lymph nodes elsewhere.So, it is not surprising that they are commonly palpable.Infections(candidial) in one area that is frequently overlooked is in between the toes (web spaces).

Yeasts (candida albicans) is a resident of the intestines in almost all normal people. But, they become pathogenic in malnourished individuals or immuno-compromised individuals.

Anyone who has candidial infection of intestine or invasive candidiasis must ideally have their immunocompetency ascertained.

Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here