Question: Swollen Inguinal Glands since puberty (14) Now 36

Steve3373 - Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:14 am

Greetings. I am a 36 year old male and I have had swollen Lymph glands in my groin (both sides) since I was about 14 years old. I was told at the time by my GP that it was perfectly normal and due to puberty. They have stayed the same my whole life and have never given me any trouble. I have been to a urologist recently and I am currently undergoing tests, for what he thinks is an intestinal yeast infection. During his examination, he noticed they were swollen and asked if I had been tested to see what it was and I said no- but I told him what my GP said when I was 14. He left it at that! What could be the cause of the enlarged glands and should I be concerned?
Thank you for your help.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:29 am

Inguinal lymph nodes are quite commonly enlarged & palpable in a sizable number of people in a given population - esp in geographic areas where people walk bare-footed.

The inguinal nodes drain a wide area including the perineum, lower most parts of the vagina(in females), the anal canal and lower limbs.Thus they probably encounter higher bacterial/antigenic loads than lymph nodes elsewhere.So, it is not surprising that they are commonly palpable.Infections(candidial) in one area that is frequently overlooked is in between the toes (web spaces).

Yeasts (candida albicans) is a resident of the intestines in almost all normal people. But, they become pathogenic in malnourished individuals or immuno-compromised individuals.

Anyone who has candidial infection of intestine or invasive candidiasis must ideally have their immunocompetency ascertained.

|