News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Large, puffy nipples?

NeedHelpscared - Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:54 pm

Hi, I'm 16 years old and used to have normal looking and sized nipples. Around 3 years ago, my nipples became larger and puffy. They are still large and puffy and I was wondering, can this be life threatening? Or is it most likely gynecomastia? They look similar to pictures I have seen, but slightly larger. It's been three years since then, so I'm assuming it can't kill me?

Thank you very much.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:07 pm

User avatar Dear Needhelpscared,

i think that this is just a normal change of puberty.

Gynecomastia is a firm disc of tissues under the nipple not affecting the nipple itself and it usually occurs during puberty, or secondary to some diseases (example liver disease) and some medications.

It sometimes helps the other users of the forum if you mention your gender (as some posts can be a little bit confusing) as regular users don''t have access to such info in your personal profile, so if you don't mention it...

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 NeedHelpscared - Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:50 am

thanks, this is a huge relief. I would say they are maybe 2 inches from the base, and protrude maybe 1 inch and a half? Maybe less? They both are the same, do not hurt, and are very soft. I am a male. So the chances of this being a cancer or something is pretty slim? I also recently have had stomach discomfort for about the past five days. I do not know why, but sometimes I’ll have a weird sensation in my chest. I am 16 years old, certainly this couldn’t be a heart attack?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here