Question: Addison's Disease and Annabolic Steroids

Coastie825 - Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:00 pm

Me: I am a 25 year old female who was diagnosed with addison's disease in May 2009. My disease is from adrenal insuficiency (no pituitary problem), and I don't make enough aldosterone.

I am an athlete/fitness trainer/nursing student, and lately have been curious if taking anabolic steroids might help my addison's? I have done quite a bit of research and have put in a lot of thought in using 25mg Deca a week.

My question: Since I am only aldosterone difficient, would a decrease in cortisol still be detramental to me? That is the side effect of taking Deca. Also, would such a low dose make a significant difference?

I have read that the Deca reduces cortisol being absorbed into the muscles...but is this the same as reducing the overall level of cortisol that could hurt me? My thought is that the cortisol would be present - just not absorbed into the muscles.

I do plan on speaking with my personal endocrinologist first before I make the decision whether or not I want to. It all depends if the benefits outweigh the risks.

Thank you for any feedback!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:21 pm

You say you have "isolated" hypoaldosteronism due to Addison's disease.
How strong was the diagnosis of Addison's"? Have you been tested for possible (reported) associated conditions(such as idiopahtic hypoparathyroidism, immune deficiencies etc)/syndromes?

Has any work up been done to exclude the possibility of an isolated 18-hydroxylase deficiency limited to the zona glomerulosa or to destruction of the adrenal cortex involving only the zona glomerulosa??.

First of all, i feel that the diagnosis of "isolated" hypoaldosteronism due to Addison's disease has to be re-confirmed before anyone could venture to answer your query regarding the use of anabolic steroids in such a condition.
I suggest that you MUST NOT experiment with it on your own.

|