News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: Female body hair, low hormones, yellow skin

Maya1986 - Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:28 am

I am a 23 year old female, but most people think I am younger then 18. Since I was 15-16 I have been getting more body hair which normally are where males get hair, under the navel, and also above the navel towards my chest and around my nipples, also a lot around my bikini line. Around my nipples the hairs seem to be the thickest, there are like 40 hairs, between the breasts some hairs are appearing now to.
It doesnt disturb me thou, I have learned to accept my body in totality. But I do would like to know what can cause this?

I am 1m75 and weigh 60kg, I have a blood test every year and everything is always fine, except my hormones are pretty low. TSH is to low. Althou I don't seem to have an underactive thyroid because I don't get fat. Also my skin turns yellow sometimes, and this is noticable by other people to. My eyes stay white, it is just my skin. My docter thought it was my bilirubine levels in the blood, but on the test they always turned out fine, not high at all.

My menstruation at this moment is regular, but it has been irregular before, but it was because I was thinner then. In winter I mostly gain some weight. It doesnt cause me any trouble, menstruation does not give me pain or anything.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:52 pm

User avatar Hello,From the features mentioned and assuming that your free androgen ie free testosterone levels are normal,you may be classified as idiopathic hirsutism.Hirsutism refers to women and children having coarse hairs in areas like chest,abdomen,chin and upperlip.Hypertrichosis is a totally different condition affecting areas like eyelashes and general body hair growth excessive for the site and age.The earlier one idopathic hirsutism, sort of represents the extreme end of normal.This can be related to race,or genes.The commonest cause of hirsutism is polycystic ovary syndrome with acne,menstrual abnormalities,and alopecias.Adrenal tumours,cushings syndrome are amongst the other causes.An endocrine refferel may be necessary just to make sure it is idopathic.Best wishes.
 Maya1986 - Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:11 am

I had 3 hormones tested
free testosterone and testosterone are normal
androstenedion is to high, it was like ++2.95 or something

So ill probably need a gyneacology thing done, but I am virgin so I guess they will have to do it with some kind of scanner
 Maya1986 - Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:17 am

I think I know where the yellow skin comes from. I am a vegan but I get alot of Vit A beta carotena. I started to fill in a diet journal and saw sometimes my levels of Vit A which hsould be around 100 % were sometimes 1000 - 2000 %

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here