News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: what can be done for polycystic ovarian syndrom/PCOD?

daisyg1 - Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:06 pm

In /or around 2000, i was diagnosed with PCOS/PCOD. i was told there was nothing to really be done but to watch what i eat, is this still the case? i am diabetic type 2. i take glyburide. they tried glucaphage/metformin and i could not tolorate that medicine. i have all the symptoms, darkening around the back of neck,hair growth where it shouldn't, weight gain and loss of menseral cycle for 13 years now. i did try birth controll, nothing. had all sort of test run, every thing came back normal. i saw a Endocrinologist back in 2000, they said this is not rare. just not enough study to come up with a cure, nothing to help me. i am tired of shaving like a man! it is very embarresing, i shave more than my husband. what can i do? please, i hate this disease and need some answers. thank you.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:42 am

User avatar Hi,
I understand your frustration. You see, PCOS has no single remedy.I understand you were diagnosed in year 2000 as having PCOS.

How strong was the diagnosis?
I understand you underwent breast "Reduction" surgery in 2000 as well.

Did any of your close relatives had/has PCOS?
what is your body weight?
If you happen to be obese, are you sincerely trying to reduce weight? (this measure certainly helps).
Your main concern appears to be the issue of hirsutism. Have you tried electrolysis or laser treatments? They are much more effective than shaving.
Good luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here