Question: what can be done for polycystic ovarian syndrom/PCOD?

daisyg1 - Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:06 pm

In /or around 2000, i was diagnosed with PCOS/PCOD. i was told there was nothing to really be done but to watch what i eat, is this still the case? i am diabetic type 2. i take glyburide. they tried glucaphage/metformin and i could not tolorate that medicine. i have all the symptoms, darkening around the back of neck,hair growth where it shouldn't, weight gain and loss of menseral cycle for 13 years now. i did try birth controll, nothing. had all sort of test run, every thing came back normal. i saw a Endocrinologist back in 2000, they said this is not rare. just not enough study to come up with a cure, nothing to help me. i am tired of shaving like a man! it is very embarresing, i shave more than my husband. what can i do? please, i hate this disease and need some answers. thank you.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:42 am

I understand your frustration. You see, PCOS has no single remedy.I understand you were diagnosed in year 2000 as having PCOS.

How strong was the diagnosis?
I understand you underwent breast "Reduction" surgery in 2000 as well.

Did any of your close relatives had/has PCOS?
what is your body weight?
If you happen to be obese, are you sincerely trying to reduce weight? (this measure certainly helps).
Your main concern appears to be the issue of hirsutism. Have you tried electrolysis or laser treatments? They are much more effective than shaving.
Good luck!

|