News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Endocrinology Topics

Question: hyperthyroidism and missing periods?

morgansmom - Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:49 am

i am a 26 year old who was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I went to my doctor complaining of heart palpatations, shortness of breath and missing periods. Blood tests revealed hyperthyroidism. I was put on blood pressure meds to relieve the palpatations and sent to endocrinologist. Only 3 months later, my thyroid tests were normal. My doc said that the hyperthyroidism was caused by a weakened immune system ( i had a cold) and that my periods would return shortly. ( i have never heard of this, nor am i able to get any info online). Now, six months later, my thyroid tests still show normal, palpatations are gone, im off of blood pressure meds, but i still have no period. Endocrineologist did more labwork, and said all my hormones are fine, testosterone is slightly elevated at 57 but not out of normal range. So they are sending me to my GYN to 'stimulate' my period. My question is; is this normal? Like i said i never heard of a cold causing thyroid problems, and i am frustrated that my doctor cannot give me any solutions, and is now sending me to the gyn. i don't know that i trust them.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:36 am

User avatar Hi,
There is a type of thyroiditis known as Subacute thyroiditis (also some call it 'De Quervain's thyroiditis') which is thought to be due to a viral cause. Most patients give a history of a upper respiratory infection 2-8 weeks prior to the onset of thyroiditis. Therefore, many cases tend to occur during summer months.

A few cases have been reported due to the mumps virus. High titers of mumps antibodies may be found in some patients.

Association with other viral conditions(infectious mononucleosis,measles, influenza, adenovirus, coxsackievirus etc)is also known.

Severity of the disease is highly variable.Sometimes it is so mild that it passes off like an attack of 'flu'.

Clinical course is usually 'triphasic' - hyperthyroidism, followed by a hypothyroid phase and finally normothyroidism.

I hope this information is useful to you.Good day!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here