Question: hyperthyroidism and missing periods?

morgansmom - Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:49 am

i am a 26 year old who was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I went to my doctor complaining of heart palpatations, shortness of breath and missing periods. Blood tests revealed hyperthyroidism. I was put on blood pressure meds to relieve the palpatations and sent to endocrinologist. Only 3 months later, my thyroid tests were normal. My doc said that the hyperthyroidism was caused by a weakened immune system ( i had a cold) and that my periods would return shortly. ( i have never heard of this, nor am i able to get any info online). Now, six months later, my thyroid tests still show normal, palpatations are gone, im off of blood pressure meds, but i still have no period. Endocrineologist did more labwork, and said all my hormones are fine, testosterone is slightly elevated at 57 but not out of normal range. So they are sending me to my GYN to 'stimulate' my period. My question is; is this normal? Like i said i never heard of a cold causing thyroid problems, and i am frustrated that my doctor cannot give me any solutions, and is now sending me to the gyn. i don't know that i trust them.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:36 am

There is a type of thyroiditis known as Subacute thyroiditis (also some call it 'De Quervain's thyroiditis') which is thought to be due to a viral cause. Most patients give a history of a upper respiratory infection 2-8 weeks prior to the onset of thyroiditis. Therefore, many cases tend to occur during summer months.

A few cases have been reported due to the mumps virus. High titers of mumps antibodies may be found in some patients.

Association with other viral conditions(infectious mononucleosis,measles, influenza, adenovirus, coxsackievirus etc)is also known.

Severity of the disease is highly variable.Sometimes it is so mild that it passes off like an attack of 'flu'.

Clinical course is usually 'triphasic' - hyperthyroidism, followed by a hypothyroid phase and finally normothyroidism.

I hope this information is useful to you.Good day!

|