Question: does losing alot of blood at onset of puberty limit growth?

dhan127@gmail.com - Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:03 pm

or possibly delay it?

I was admitted like 6 or 7 times in a span of a year to a hospital because my parents thought i was out of control because of some mental illness so they took me to inpatient mental units of hospitals

this happened when I was 12-13, right before or at the onset of puberty

do you think losing that much blood(4 or 8 cylinders at a time, 6 or 7 times over a year) can stunt my growth

or cause me to be anemic?

i am now 16 and i am not as developed as i would like to be
i also feel fatigued often
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:10 pm

No, this would not inhibit or delay your growth. Anemia can be checked easily so if you believe your fatigue may be caused by this, have it tested. In the meantime it can't hurt to eat foods that are high in iron such as whole grains, meats, egg yolks, dark veggies and beans, apricots and raisins.

The amounts of blood taken for testing - even multiple vials - does not amount to enough to cause anemia.

Your stature has a lot to do with your genetic makeup so if your parents are short, you may be as well. There is not much you can do to change that. Also, the onset of your periods often results in no further height growth. Puberty age and growth varies with the individual. You might schedule a well child exam with your doctor to review your growth patterns, puberty and family health history.

|