News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Endocrinology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Endocrinology Answers List

Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Hypoglycemia and swollen glands??

TMCHUGH - Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:56 pm

My daughter has been diagnosed with severe hypoglycemia. We are waiting for an opening with the endocrinology dept for further tests. She has a meter, and tests her blood glucose 4 times a day. She is very small and is losing weight (now under 100 pounds) she is 16. She does have episodes of her blood sugar spiking up to 250 to 300 but not very often, usually it is in the 40 or 50's. Her pediatrician has run thyroid tests, all normal. Liver and kidney function tests, and cbc. All normal. But I am concerned that she continues to get swollen glands, both in her neck, and in her arm pits. She was tested for mono, but that came back negative. Is swollen glands a sign of diabetes? Could it be causing the low blood sugar? Thank you for any help or advice.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:22 am

User avatar Hi,
From your description of your daughter's symptoms and signs,i wonder if she needs a lymph node biopsy or an FNAC(fine needle aspiration cytology) of one of the enlarged lymph nodes.Some malignancies including lymphomas are known to present with hypoglycemia.

You say, "She does have episodes of her blood sugar spiking up to 250 to 300".With this in mind, if the lymph nodes were not enlarged,one may have suspected a 'reactive hypoglycemia"(post-prandial hypoglycemia), which occurs following a high carbohydrate meal and is due to release of excessive insulin by the pancreas, 2-4 hours following such a meal.

I suggest that she needs to be investigated fully to exclude some of the conditions i have mentioned as well as others.
Best wishes!
 TMCHUGH - Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:43 am

Dr,
Thank you for the reply. Her lymph nodes to us seem very swollen. You can actually see them in her neck sometimes, but her pediatrician says that they are within normal range. I guess we will just have to wait a few months until she gets in to see the Dr.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:28 am

User avatar Hi, Thank you so much for the update....

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here