Forum Name: Diabetes

Question: Foot Ulcer's or Blisters

raz20 - Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:13 am

Hey, this is my first post on doctorslounge.

I'd be really grateful if someone could give me advice, firstly I haven't been diagnosed with diabetes and as far as I know don't have many symptoms.

On Saturday night I went out with a few friends, and wore shoes for the first time in about a year, the journey to my friends house (which is a 15-20minute walk) caused my ankles to really hurt. Two identical sores appeared, which were red and the skin appeared to be a little bit broken.

I got 2 plasters from my friend and put them on, thinking they were blisters - and I preceeded to go out. The morning after, I noticed that the sores had gotten worse - there seems to be a slight yellow tinge to them.

It's now Wednesday and they don't seem to have changed much in appearance since then - they are quite stingy/painful when touched - or when I wear comfortable trainers and walk they hurt quite a bit but still bearable.

What is the usual time for an ulcer to heal and do people think this is worth a visit to the doctors? I don't usually go for anything and would feel a bit silly going along and being told i had some slight sores on my feet from wearing shoes that I wasn't used to. Searching the net has scared me a little bit, as I've never been tested for diabetes and am probably slightly overweight and don't have the most healthy of diets (I was just under 13st when I last checked 6months or so ago, and haven't really changed weight since then and I'm a 6"3 20 year old male).

Any other information I'd be happy to provide, I await your replies - thanks in advance.

They leave marks on socks when I wear them, which could be blood, infection or moisture - I'm not sure.

I have taken some pictures of them and hosted on image shack, i'd be very grateful if you could take a look.

http://img17.imageshack.us/g/img1560b.jpg/
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:43 am

User avatar Hello,The ulcer shows granulation tissue forming and soon would heal.This is due to pressure and friction.While diabetes is nowadays common it may be a little far fetched to correlate.Mupurocin creme should help applied after proper cleaning.Do not wear tight fitting shoes.Do get investigated because it is always good to do so but then there should be little to fear.With my good wishes.

|